Friday, November 9, 2012

Back to School 2012!



As much as I love summer, there is always something so great about setting up a classroom...
The only things left to add are my students, but I'm ready!




Funny story about these chairs...
Now, after Hurricane Sandy they have even more meaning for me.
Every year, my family vacations on Long Beach Island, NJ with our very dear friends.
One beautiful morning, my friend Andi and I decided to go for a long walk.  About a mile into the walk I spotted this wicker furniture set - although it was NOT looking as white and pretty as is is in the picture.  They were gray and the wicker was tearing our every which way.  We decided to walk a bit further, but I couldn't stop thinking that I had to have those chairs.
Andi just laughed and said, "of course you do" when I told her I had to have them! I bought the whole set for $12.00  In the fashion of warrior moms, we carried the chairs on our backs and I held the table under my arm for the mile walk back.  I'll never forget the look on my husband's face when we came walking up with those chairs.  He just shook his head because he knew, he knew...
With some love and paint and much time spent googling "how to fix wicker furniture,"  these chairs found a new home.  My students love to read in this corner, and I love to see them enjoying it so much!
Recently, our school was closed for a week due to Hurricane Sandy.  I must admit, when I walked back into my classroom and saw these chairs again, I teared up  thinking about all of the devastation this storm caused.
I feel blessed to have this little bit of LBI with me every day.
xo




Arrrrrrrr we ready for a great year?  Yes :)

No comments:

Notes For the Teacher